Top 10 Favourite Baby Essentials (0-6 months)
Today I will be sharing my top 10 baby essentials from newborn up to about 6 months. These will be a combination of items I am using again that I had with my eldest, as well as a few new founds, which I simply just cannot go without now.
**This post contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure statement.
These things definitely vary from person to person. Especially as my must-have could easily be someone else’s optional. For me, however, these items have made my life a little easier.
- Swaddleme Original Swaddle: I have used a swaddle with both of my daughters. Not every baby needs or even likes a swaddle but I found it to be a lifesaver when they do! Both of my daughters used to wake themselves up with their hands, so swaddling them became essential. I prefer this swaddle over the normal one that you have to wrap around yourself, as it’s also a lot quicker. As this has velcro, it’s more reassuring that they won’t come out of it (for now) and sleep more soundly, swaddled like a little burrito. The small size can be used from 0-3 months. Once your baby outgrows the small, you can get a large which will fit them up to 6 months of age.
- Boppy Pillow: I love when things have more than one purpose! Boppy pillows are so versatile. You can use it as a nursing pillow to feed your baby on just the right height, and still maintaining posture. When you’re baby is a little older, it’s also great to practice sitting upright, as it gives good back support. Some people can easily go without boppy pillows, personally I couldn’t live without mine.
- Ingenuity Swing: When I have a few chores to do, this has been a lifesaver. It keeps my daughter safe and entertained just long enough. We all need a few hands-free moments. I also love that you can put the swing on for certain amounts of time, and then it shuts itself off. The swing has also different speeds and a variety of melodies and soothing sounds.
- Chicco Next2me Side Sleeping Crib: This has definitely been a game changer. I wish I got this with my first daughter. At the time, I got the usual moses basket, which of course served its purpose. However, the Chicco crib was like having best of both worlds; sleeping closely next to your baby, without sharing the same bed. This also made breastfeeding in those early days after having your baby so much easier. If you’d like to co-sleep but in safe manner, this is the product for you!
- Inovi Cocoon Crib: This is a contemporary version of the moses basket. I’ve had such positive comments on how nice and modern it looked in my living room. I needed something for my baby to sleep in whilst we were downstairs during the day. I love how you can zip it up, like a little cocoon, hence it’s name. This comes in handy when you have another child, as it almost serves as a protective shield.
- Angelcare Bath Support: I didn’t have a bath support with my first baby, and I totally wish I had! It’s so much easier and safer bathing. Having to hold a baby with one hand and cleaning them with the other is a skill itself. This is even more challenging when your baby moves a lot. I used to be terrified my baby would slip out of my hand. It definitely brings a peace of mind.
- Medela Swing Maxi Double Electric Breast Pump: I couldn’t live without my breastpump, as I exclusively breastpump for my daughter. I started out with a single electric pump, but quickly realised it was too time consuming, especially with a baby and toddler impatiently waiting. Having the double breastpump halved my pumping time. I went with Medela as it’s one of the best, and it definitely did not disappoint! Double breastpumping without a Hands Free Double Pumping Bustier seems now just silly. I found holding on to one breastpump for 20 minutes tedious to say the least, imagine having to keep both your hands up for 20 minutes! The breastpump bra keeps both your breast pump bottles up, while your hands are free to do whatever you like, whether that’s holding your phone, or feeding your baby at the same time.
- Tommee Tippee Newborn Starter Kit: I love love love tommee tippee bottles. I have used them with my first daughter, so it was a no-brainer to get them again this time around. The starter kit is perfect as it has enough bottles to grow with your baby. It also comes with a bottle brush and two soothers, which was definitely bonus! Another must-have Tommee Tippee item is the Electric Bottle and Food Warmer. I still have my first, and it works like a charm. It heats up bottles in no time, and if you have already started solids, this can also warm up your baby food!
- Milton Cold Water Steriliser: This is a new purchase, and I love it more than the usual electric steriliser. It sterilises in 15 minutes and the solution stays sterile for 24 hours! As there is a 5 litre capacity, it holds quite a lot of items. I sterilise my bottles, soothers, toys, and breastpumping equipment in it. Tip: You can get the tablets for the solution at Boots super cheap!
- Lassig Burp Blanket: You can never have too many burp cloths when you have a baby! You have to be prepared for spit ups. We keep them everywhere in the house, easily accessible whenever needed. Over the years, I have used many different burp cloths, and I’ve finally found one that has good quality material, which I find important, and not overpriced for what it really is.
I hope you found this list useful. Of course, there are many other items I love and use on a daily basis (Playmat Activity Gym, Stroller and Car seat, Teething Ring etc. I could go on for a while, but I’ll leave it at this.